Windrush is a non-profit organization made up of cause-based staff and volunteers striving to preserve and sustain the black community.
Founded in 2000 by Adrian Murrell, Windrush aims to address the many needs of the black communities issues whilst also educating them about their past history.
We remain dedicated to providing support to all people no matter by what race they are.
Aims and Objectives
Our aim is to empower and improve outcomes for black/multi-heritage communities and their families within Preston, Lancashire and the United Kingdom
Windrush Initiatives will fulfil this aim by:
- Breaking down barriers to social inclusion through affordable projects, activities and events which promotes economic wellbeing and celebrates black/multi-heritage culture.
- Through projects, services and activities offer volunteering opportunities to support community members to make a positive contribution to society.
- Working across BAME and Non BAME communities to promote community cohesion.
- Tackling health inequalities through promoting health, wellbeing and fitness to black/multi-heritage people and their families in order to improve Health and emotional Well-being.
- Heightening the confidence and awareness of black/multi-heritage people to their cultural heritage.
- Increase knowledge and understanding of black history, culture and heritage in all communities to educate against discrimination. ·
- Aid capacity building within other not for profit organisations which target services toblack/multi-heritage people and their families to improve quality of services while working towards becoming an infrastructure organisation.
- Listen to the needs and views of black/multi-heritage people and their families and use this knowledge to represent their interests to inform policy and thinking within statutory and non-statutory agencies.
- Working with similar groups to prevent duplication and increase access to services so black and multi-heritage people and their families have more choice and control.
What is Windrush Initiative
Windrush Initiatives is a ‘more than profit’ Community Interest Company Limited by Guarantee.
Community Interest Companies (known as C.I.C.’s) are one of the fastest growing community oriented enterprise movements in the country.
Categorised asnot for profit; the directors prefer to describe our C.I.C more then profit.
A C.I.C is a business with primarily social objectives whose surpluses are principally reinvested for that purpose in the business orin the community, rather than being driven by the need to maximise profit for shareholders and owners. By using business solutions to achieve public good, Windrush Initiatives believe that social enterprises have a distinct and valuable role to play in helping create a strong, sustainable and socially inclusive economy Thisis why the Windrush directors chose this social enterprise model as the best legal entity for us.